In this article, I’m going to show you how to fix the guest operating system has disabled the CPU. Also you might see this error “The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system”. This error can occur for the following reasons.
- VT-x is disabled from BIOS
- VT-x is disabled from Virtualization Software
- Operating system compatibility issue
- Virtualization software compatibility
Alternative Error the Guest Operating System has Disabled the CPU
- the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine
- Virtualization Technology is disabled from BIOS
- VT-x is Disabled
- Failed to start the virtual machine
Fix The Guest Operating System has Disabled the CPU
This is a very know error for those who use a virtualized environment for their network. It means by using virtualization software (VMware/VirtualBox), you can install multiple operating systems on a single host machine. Those OS can be macOS, Linux, and Windows. Most of the time this issue occurs when the Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is not enabled from the main system BIOS.
For example, you have got an ASUS computer (Desktop/Laptop) so VT-x is not enabled from its bios. Now you can install VMware or VirtualBox on this system but you can’t run any other OS until you enable Virtualization Technology from BIOS.
So let’s get started on how to enable virtualization technology on a computer. On most systems, VT-x can be found under Advanced settings> CPU Configuration but it can vary on different manufacturers.
- Turn on or Restart your computer then press the F2/Del key from your keyboard to enter into Asus BIOS.
- From the BIOS, click Advanced Mode (F7).
- Click the Advanced Tab and CPU Configuration.
- Scroll down and click Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology. Select Enable from the drop-down menu.
- Press the F10 key to save the changes.
Here is a detailed information on how to enable Virtualization Technology from different manufacturers.
If you have a better solution for this problem or more advanced technique, please let us know and we will update the guide. Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.