Generally, a security audit is a systematic assessment of the system or application of a company information system by evaluating its conformance to the set and established criteria. These audits range from the audit of physical data security to databases security. There’s also the technical as well as the administrative audit of security. The main audited systems are network vulnerabilities such as access authorizations, interception as well as connectivity and availability. There are also control systems that are audited such as interception controls and access controls to ensure data protection levels are always at the peak. Other security audits areas include passwords, special user accounts, remote access as well as termination procedures for expired authorizations.
Amazon web services security audit
Through AWS CloudTrail, users’ accounts are governed and audited to ensure compliance and safety. This compliance enhances users to understand the stout controls placed at AWS to ensure data protection in the cloud as well as maintenance of security measures.
Security and compliance are enhanced through the use of:
- Verifiable AWS CloudTrail, Amazon CloudWatch, AWS CloudHSM which ensure evidence gathering capability is in place to verify all actions taking place.
- Distribution of resources through AWS CloudFormation
- Automation of scriptable tools allows users to create reliable as well as the security system that ensures real-time risk management.
An AWS security audit is important in many ways. Users play a significant role in enhancing security in the cloud too because they retain control over the security they choose to implement to protect their system, application, and content. Amazon auditors issue certificates after verifying that all security controls are in place. The main audit focal point is usually the understanding of what AWS services are used as well as ensuring that risk management programs are taken into account and the use of the cloud environment.
Recommended: Five Ways to Boost Your Company’s Security
AWS security audit focal points and approaches
- The first audit area is Governance policies, procedures and plans applying to the AWS services purchased, and the kinds of the system as well as information integrated into the AWS services.
- The network management and configuration must have followed the security requirements of the organization. This deals with the audit approach to understanding the network architecture of users AWS resources.
- Asset configuration and change management with the audit approach of validating if operating systems security vulnerabilities are protected as well as assets integrity
- Controlling access to logical AWS resources, processes and users to confirm their authorization to perform specific functions. Here the audit focus is on identifying how users and permissions are designed for AWS services.
- Data encryption audit approach of checking and validating the methods used to protect data.
- Security logging and monitoring if systems conform to set policies and procedures.
- Monitoring security events and operational effectiveness of incident response control for AWS services.
- Plans to address disaster recovery scenes with the audit approach of determining the fault-tolerant plans for critical assets in case of a disaster.
- Demonstration of due diligence in the selection of service providers by evaluation of certifications to gain assurance of the operating effectiveness of inherited controls.
This is a guest contributor post.